ST JOHN
NEWSROOM

St John NT Official Media Releases, News, Events & Promotions

Media Releases | St John Ambulance
 

MEDIA RELEASE

  11 Aug 2018


PARAMEDICS ISSUE SAFETY MESSAGE AFTER SECOND TODDLER BURNS HIMSELF

Only days after a toddler burnt himself with boiling water, another little boy was taken to RDH last night with similar injuries.

The 20-month-old from Gunn had accidentally poured a cup of hot tea over himself, burning his chest and left arm.

His parents administered first aid and cooled the wounds while St John Ambulance paramedics were en route.

The boy was taken to Royal Darwin Hospital in a stable condition at around 6.30pm last night.

On Wednesday, a 20-month-old boy was taken to RDH from his home in Coconut Grove after he pulled a container with boiling water off a bench onto his chest and neck.

St John Ambulance intensive care paramedics Mark Ferguson said it was crucial to administer burns first aid at home prior to the arrival of paramedics.

“If anyone gets burnt, remember to cool the wound under cold water for 20 minutes and seek medical aid,” Mr Ferguson said.

“Also - especially with small children in the house - please remember to push hot drinks and boiling water to the middle of a table or to the back of the stove. And please remember to turn the stove off.”

Copyright © All rights reserved  |  St John Ambulance Australia (NT) Inc.